5 vac schemes and no TC, red flag?

qvhe

Aug 6, 2024
I am an international student studying in the UK. During the past year, I've done five vac schemes in my home country at UK and US firms. However, I failed to convert them into a TC either due to minor slip-ups in a task/exit interview or not being social enough to make a strong impression (most associates and trainees I worked with gave really positive feedback on my work). The current market also means many firms have to cut their trainee intake.

I am planning to apply to vac schemes in the UK this cycle, and I was wondering whether the fact that I failed to covert multiple vac schemes is a major red flag. Should I only disclose two vac schemes (instead of all) to make my application look less alarming? How likely will firms ask why I failed to get a TC (overseas)? Any advice is appreciated.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am an international student studying in the UK. During the past year, I've done five vac schemes in my home country at UK and US firms. However, I failed to convert them into a TC either due to minor slip-ups in a task/exit interview or not being social enough to make a strong impression (most associates and trainees I worked with gave really positive feedback on my work). The current market also means many firms have to cut their trainee intake.

I am planning to apply to vac schemes in the UK this cycle, and I was wondering whether the fact that I failed to covert multiple vac schemes is a major red flag. Should I only disclose two vac schemes (instead of all) to make my application look less alarming? How likely will firms ask why I failed to get a TC (overseas)? Any advice is appreciated.
You should include all the internships if the form allows you to do so (some restrict the number of entries you have).

If the internships are all in your home country, the question maybe more as to why you are now pursuing a career in the U.K. rather than where you have worked previously though.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.