• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

2027 Training Contract- When to apply?

aanushhhkaaa

Jul 10, 2024
I am an Indian Law student. We have 5-year law programme. I'll be graduating in 2027. Is there any vacation scheme I could apply for since most require that only finalists/graduates can apply? I wanted to apply this year, but I dont think I'll be eligible.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Penultimate year is generally what they suggest for Law students. However, you'll need to do some SQE because you don't have a UK LLB so probably still penultimate year or final year. Some firms welcome Law students from second year in the UK onwards, but I'd suggest penultimate year since that's the norm. Firms look to hire people two years in advance. So you could apply this time next year. You may wish to contact a few law firms however, since I'm not familiar with 5-year law programmes.

lawyerdreams

Jul 25, 2024
I think since your law degree is not from England and Wales, you are considered a non-law student, so you might still need to do the PGDL prior to the SQE, if the firm requires it (for example, I know Slaughter & May requires non-UK law degree students to do this). Therefore, you'll have to check each individual law firm - for those that only accept applications for final-year non-law students, you'll have to wait until 2 years from now to apply, but if they accept from penultimate-year non-law students, then you can apply next year. But your best bet is to email firms' graduate recruitment to find out when you're eligible.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.